August 5, 2011
“Acuérdate de vivir” – Ismael Serrano
Today, I turn 26 years old. This means I am quite officially in my mid-twenties and just 4 years away from my thirties.
I am writing this post from Erice– a historic, medieval town part of the province of Trapani in Sicily– after enjoying a weekend of little sleep and amazing times alongisde old friends in Madrid, Spain. I am loving every single minute of my trip and this adventure my life has become.
My life today is very different from the life I envisioned ten, five, or even one year ago. A year ago, I thought I had my life all planned out. Until one day, I realized that “plan” I had carefully defined no longer fit my reality.
I discarded that plan, made some changes, rearranged a couple of things and started living a [so far] very rewarding and eye opening phase in my life.
Having learned a couple of things along the way, I decided to share these with you as a birthday gift.
- Never apologize for who you are.
- Love yourself. Because no one else can love you as much as you can.
- Be adventurous. Take advantage of life’s opportunities and just go with them
- Be passionate about every little thing you do. Refuse to live a life without passion.
- When feeling blue, allow yourself one day of misery. Then, wake up the next day, get on your feet and keep on living.
- Be ambitious, strive for something higher and better but never envy what others have.
- Don’t let anyone try to change who you are. Don’t try to change who someone else is.
- Regret is a waste of time. Fear creates unnecessary obstacles.
- Be comfortable in your own skin. Exude confidence. Throw self-consciousness out the window.
- A friend once told me, if you’ve made it all the way to the bedroom with someone, it means they like you. Own your beauty. The last thing on their mind is to judge your body.
- Sometimes, your parents are right. You will find out the hard way what they were right about.
- Voice your feelings. And remember, you are not responsible for others’ reactions.
- Try [almost] everything at least once.
- Be spontaneous. The best experiences are never planned.
- Drink lots of water (especially when drinking). Exercise regularly. Laugh every day. Eat until satisfied.
- There’s a difference between friends and acquaintances. A friend will never judge or turn their back on you no matter how vulnerable, needy or mistaken you might be.
- Never assume. Always double check.
- Don’t expect others to understand and view the world the way you do. Explain your vision as needed.
- Live abroad. Then do it all over again.
- Education is the most important thing you should invest in.
- Always remember to live your life the way you want to live it. Sometimes, you have to disappoint those you love most by choosing a different path in life.
- Trust your “gut feeling”. Trust yourself above anyone or anything else. It is never too late to say no to something that doesn’t feel right. Never.
- Allow yourself to breathe.
- Solitude can make a great companion.
- Be patient, but don’t get too comfortable or else you won’t accomplish anything.